So I arrived in Munich with a little under 5 hours to see the city. I made a detour (2 1/2 hours) just so I could experience the Bavarian capital. I was expecting pretzels, sausage, and BEER.... and that’s what I got - with a little surprise.
I know it was 60 years ago, but it kept nagging at me that Munich was the birthplace for the National Socialist movement - otherwise known as the Nazi party. It was a hotbed for right-wing activity and I don’t know - it bothered me a little. However, the Munich I saw was not the Munich of the 1940’s. It was bombed 71 times by the allies and rebuilt as a new city afterwards. I guess that gave me solace that it was not the Munich of 1933 I was looking at.
I made my way over to the main square where there was TONS of activity... tons of people walking around, shopping, including my FAVORITE store in the world. The APPLE STORE! It opened last year as the first in Germany. I was very excited and bought an iPhone case just because I needed to buy something from my first international store. Of course I made friends with a few specialists - and like McDonald’s, it looked like any other Apple Store. The place was packed, so I was super inspired.
I decided my Munich trip could be complete with a visit to the Apple Store (sic), but should see other things. I went over to the cathedral and a smaller church. Walked up the top of the steps to throngs of people. Munich was SO crowded today... I left the top of the clock tower quickly because I was claustrophobic. Went to a market, bough a pretzel and then... it...was...time... for... Hoftbräuhaus! Talk about throngs of people - like a million people were there drinking beer, having a good time. Since I was alone, I slipped into a table with people at it. One liter of beer I ordered - like everyone else, including the 16 year old girl next to me. It was delicious. I also ordered weißwürste on the direction of my new Bavarian friends I met in Vienna (see other blog). It was good, except someone had told me it was made of cow eyeballs and lips, etc... I ignored it and ate it anyway -- I mean there has never been a sausage I didn’t like. It was ok - rubbery and white... but the BEER.. delicious.
Then, an elderly couple and his sister sit down next to me. They order a liter as well and the man was wearing leiderhosen. Found out one of them was from the states and we got to talking about everything from Munich to world history. It was nice to meet them.. They urged me to enjoy another beer (NOT a liter this time)... by the end of my chat, I was 2 1/2 sheets to the wind and time to go to the station.
Now, I’m riding a long journey from Munich to Prague (6 hours). It’s amazing how when you cross the border, a lot immediately changes -the architecture, the language, the train conductors, the food.. I’d like to go back in time to see how these borders with absolutely no natural barriers were able to create such a cultural divide. Not just how they talk, but even the way people are. I found the Czechs, Austrians, and Germans all strikingly different... they way they dressed, their mannerisms, and the vibes of their respective cities.
It’s Saturday night and thinking I had a hell of a time in Europe. I got to do a ton of things, accomplished a dream by going skiing in the Alps, relaxed, SLEPT, had a chance to reflect, and now am energized to get back to Mexico City... and back to work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment