I had about five hours to explore the birthplace of Mozart and the setting of The Sound of Music. The movie was actually filmed in Salzburg, so I’d be able to place what I saw in the movie in real life... My destination was the Salzburg Fortress, the home of Archbishops for 10 centuries. I locked up my bags in a locker (which later would be problematic) and headed to the city. The area was as majestic as I thought it would be. Spires, domed basilicas, and mansions graced the skyline. A river ran through the center, dividing the city into new and old. There was a town square filled with carts and grass as green as I’ve ever seen it. I walked down the streets, passing a few pubs along the way when I ended up in my first and only Sound of Music scene... where Uncle Max ran into Herr Heller and the children to ask where Capt. Von Trapp was.
Anyway, I made it up the cable car to the fortress where we were were greeted with an incredible view of the Austrian Alps.. I then toured the fortress, the state rooms where the archbishops had guests and some museum stuff. I was walking through history, except it got disrupted by a group of 250 marching band students from Shaker, Ohio, who were touring at the same time. Yeah - I know I used to be one of these kids, but it was annoying... I got over it, finished the tour and walked back through the town..

A few hours later, it was time to leave-- I looked for my ticket to retrieve my backpack, but WHOOPS - I couldn’t find the damn thing. Had to call security, they had to open a few lockers and thank god they were able to retrieve it before my train left. Now, I am on a 1 hour and 45 minute journey to Schladming for a ski adventure in the alps. While I’m typing, I’m glancing out of the window to take a peek of the amazing scenery outside the window.. Snow capped mountains, winding train tracks through tunnels, passing small Austrian villages over babbling brooks. I’m pinching myself as we speak. The train broke down for half an hour, but I think we’re on our way again.. hoping to arrive at my hotel in the mountain village at 8:30 PM. I can’t wait to hit the slopes tomorrow!
Wow - what a trip! 6 cases of wine? That can easily be placed on the overhead storage on the plane.
ReplyDeleteKeep on writing - its a good read.