The four and a half hour ride from Prague to Vienna was a fun, but relatively uneventful trip through a time machine of a nation’s communist past. Every city had an industrial and communal look - tall gray apartment complexes, standard architecture, and little character. After getting my head bit off by the Czech girl working in the cafe car for not having change, we arrived in Wein (Vienna in Germany) - and everything stale and communist turned to beautiful, eccentric, classic, and cool.

We dropped our things off at a great hotel and began our walk through the city. Literally building after building after building had this incredible classical look to it. Big with molding, statues, and carving into the buildings. We could not believe how many of these we saw as we walked into town. In town, we were surprised by how expensive things were, but stopped for a frankfurter. I had a beer, my travel companions had coke and water. Believe it or not, my beer was cheaper than their beverages.
We did a walking tour, stopping at St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the music hall, museum quarter, the spanish horse stables, Parliament, the national library, national museum, and the Rathaus (City Hall). I could not believe how many beautiful buildings there were. We went for dinner at a pretty classy restaurant underneath City Hall - I had my first weiner schnitzel. Jair had the Goulash. We walked back through the majestic city and went for an early sleep. I was so freggin tired.
We were trying to book a ticket to the philharmonic but there were a few problems, it was expensive, I only had jeans, and the only ones that were available were the touristy ones and not the Vienna Boys Choir or the Vienna symphony. So we decided not to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment